This year marked our 9th annual Make a Difference Day, and just like previous years, it was a huge success. This year we were excited to partner with a new, organization - Family Gateway in Dallas. We were introduced to Family Gateway last Christmas when we supported a local family from Anne Frank Elementary, our agency’s adopted school, who was living at Family Gateway.
Family Gateway was founded in 1986 by then Mayor Annette Strauss. The shelter was created to provide stability and much needed services for children and families affected by homelessness. Last year, we saw first-hand how Family Gateway not only provides shelter and food, but ongoing job and housing support services to so many families. They do a wonderful job meeting this ever-increasing need in our community.
On Friday, October 25, we accomplished several projects during our time at the shelter:
- Built care kits for incoming families
- Cleaned and organized the Children’s Learning Center
- Prepped and served lunch to families
- Provided bedding and set up 2 rooms for new incoming families
- Painted three rooms and offices
- Decorated the lunchroom for Halloween and provided candy for the children
- Created a much-needed Teen Room and furnished it with new furniture, décor, a new TV and PS4.
You can click here to see photos from our Make A Difference Day at Family Gateway, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with this organization in the future.
Please check out their website at www.familygateway.org for ways you can volunteer or donate to this great organization.